MOST IMPORTANT H.S. ENGLISH'S GRAMMAR & COMPREHENSION


 MOST IMPORTANT H.S. ENGLISH'S GRAMMAR & COMPREHENSION



GRAMMAR SECTION
MOST IMPORTANT  FINAL EXAM 10th & 12 CLASS
For grammar H.S. final exam by council Model question Bank
 Edited by Podmeswar bora
4.Direct narration and Indirect narration
1.(a) “Why do you do this ?” I ask Saheb whom I encounter every morning . “I have nothing else to do.” He mutters.
Ans:- I ask Saheb whom I encounter every morning why he does that. He mutters that he has nothing else to do.
(b) Ramen asked Pradip if he could come with him to the library. Ramen replied that he would be busy that afternoon.
Ans:- Ramen said to Pradip, “Can you come with me to the library?. Ramen said, “I will be busy this afternoon.”
2.(a)Gandhi said to Shukla, “I have to be in Calcutta, on such-and –such a date. Come and meet me and take me from there.”
Ans:- Gandhi told Shukla that he had to be in Calcutta, on such-and-such a date. He asked to come and meet him and take from there.
(b) I asked Ranjan where Neena lived. Ranjan replied regretfully that he didn’t know.
Ans:- I said to Ranjan, “Where does Neena live?” Ranjan said, “Sorry,I don’t know.”
3.( A) “You must take the dog out,” he said with sour venom. “I shall certainly do nothing of that kind,” said the women.
Ans:- He asked with sour venom that I must take the dog out. The women replied she would certainly do nothing of that kind.
(b )  Adity asked Raj if his sister was at home. Raj replied that she wasn’t. She had gone shopping with their mother.
Ans:- Adity said to Raj, Is your sister at home? Raj said, “She is not. She has gone shopping with our mother.”
4.(a) “What is your name?” I asked the girl at the gate. “And where do you live?”
Ans:- I asked the girl at the gate what her name was and where she lived.
(b) He requested me to sit down for a few minute. I told him that I would be late for school.
Ans:- He said to me, “Please sit down for a few minutes.” I said to him, “I shall be late for school.”
5.(a) “What did you do about it?” I asked the man. “Nothing,” he said. “I did absolutely nothing.”
Ans:- I asked the man what he done about that. He replied negatively that he had done absolutely nothing.
(b) The teacher asked Namita if she had read The Diary of Anne frank. Anita replied that she hadn’t.
Ans:- The teacher said to Namita, “Have you read The Diary of Anne Frank?”. Anita said, “I haven’t”.
6.(a) “How long do you have wait for you train?” the women asked me. “About an hour,” I replied.
Ans:- The woman asked me how long I had to wait for my train. I replied that it was about an hour.
(b) My mother asked me if I had posted the letter. I replied to her that I had.
Ans:- My mother said to me, “ Have you posted the letter?” I said to her, “I have.”
7.(a) Anil said to me, “ What are you doing here?” “I am swimming.” I replied.
Ans:- Anil asked me what I was doing there. I replied that I was swimming.
(b) The doctor asked the patient how she was that morning. The patient said that she still had the pain.”
Ans:- The doctor said the patient, “How are you this morning?” The patient said, “ I still have the pain.”
 8. (a) “ I want to work for you” , I said to Anil. “Can you cook?” Anil asked me.
Ans:- I proposed to Anil that I wanted to wotk for him. Anil enquired me if I could cook.
(b) The man in the counter told me that the train would be an hour late. I asked him at what time it would reach Tinsukia.
Ans:- The man in the counter said to me, “The train will be an hour late.” I said to him, “When it will reach Tinisukia?”
9.(a) Anita said to me, “We are going to Thailand the following week. I asked her, “ When will you  return.”
Ans:- Anita told me that they were going to Thailand the following week. I asked her when they would return.
(b) The teacher told me that I needed to improve my grammar. I replied that I would try hard.
Ans:- The teacher said to me, “ You need to improve your grammar.” I said, “ I will try hard.”
10.(a) He said to me, “I won’t be able to complete the work today. Can I come tomorrow and complete it?”
 Ans:- He told me that he wouldn’t be able to complete the work the day. He asked if he could come the next day and complete that.
(b) I asked her if she liked the film. She replied that she didn’t like it at all.
Ans:- I said to her, “ Do you like the film?” She said to me, “I don’t like it at all.”
Voice
Change th voice of the following sentances.
1.The news surprised me.
Ans:- I was surpeised by the news.
2. Are they meeting him at the Airport.
Ans:- Is he being met by them at the airport.
3. She handed me the letter.
Ans:- The letter was handed by her to me./ I was handed the letter by her.
4. The laughed at us.
Ans:- We were laughed at by them.
5. He described the situation to the police.
Ans:- The situation was described by the him to the police.
6. The storm damaged the roof.
Ans:- The roof was damaged by the storm.
7. The stranger made an attempt to break into the house.
Ans:- An attempt was made by the stranger to break into the house.
8. The student was told to leave the room.
Ans:- Someone told the student leave the room.
9. You will be asked to deliver the letter.
Ans:- Somebody will ask you to deliver the letter.
10. I have been asked about the incident.
Ans:- Someone has asked me about the incident.
11. the student told to organized the programe.
Ans:- someone/somebody has told the student to organize the programme.
12. I know that he did the work.
Ans:- I know that the work was done by him./ He did the work is known to me.
13. The thief was beaten up by the mob.
Ans:- The mob beat up the thief.
14. Your sister is well known to my mother.
Ans:- My mother knows well your sister.
15. My umbrella has been stolen.
Ans:- Somebody/someone has stolen my umbrella.
16. Rajen was told by the principal to work harder.
Ans:- The principal asked Rajen to work harder.
17. The noise of the blast awakened the villagers.
Ans:- The villagers were awakened by the noise of the blast.
18. I was put to sleep by the cool breeze.
Ans:- The cool breeze put me to sleep.
19. After the accident someone called the police.
Ans:- After the accident, police was called./ Police was called after the accident.
20. They were cleaning the floor earlier today.
Ans:- The floor was being cleaned by them earlier today.
21. He is expected soon.
Ans:- We expect him soon.
22. Guwahati is called the gateway to the North East.
Ans:-  People call Guwahati the gateway to the North East.
23. Fire burnt the shed toashes.
Ans:- The shed was burnt by fir to ashes.
24. Shall we help her with her work?
Ans:- Should she be helped by us with her work?
25. Have you brought the book?
Ans:- Has the book been brought by you?
Tense
Rewrite the following sentences using the verbs in brackets in their correct tense form:-
1.We………..(do) our lesson when the lights went out.
Answer:- We were doing our lesson when the lights went out.
2. I want to go for a walk, but I………(not finish) my work yet.
Answer:- I want to go for a walk, but I have not finished my work yet.
3. He ……..(work) here from 2008 to2011.
Answer:- He worked here from 2008 to 2011.
4.the police will arrest him when he…………..(leave) the house.
Ans:- The police will arrest him when he leaves the house.
5. I usually….(go) to bed at 11 o’clock.
Ans:- I usually go to bed at 11 o’clock.
6. I …………(write) the letter last night.
Ans:- I wrote the letter last night.
7. He……….(sit) in the library when I saw him.
Ans:- He was sitting in the library when I saw him.
8. All the answer to the question…….(be) wrong.
Ans:- All the answer to the question are wrong.
9. I always boil my water before I………..(drink) it.
Ans:- I always boil my water before I drink it.
10. Please stop singing because I…….(try) to work.
Ans:- Please stop singing because I am trying to work.
11. The teacher……….(know) the boy was lying.
Ans:- The teacher knew the boy was lying.
12. As soon as I come in, she…..(leave) the room.
Ans:- As soon as I come in she left the room.
13. When I passed the house, I saw he………….(clean) the car.
Ans:- When I passed the house, I saw he was cleaning the car.
14. The referee blew the whistle and then the match……….(begin).
Ans:- The referee blew the whistle and the match began.
15. If I were you, I……..(not do) it.
Ans:- If I were you, I would not have done it.
16. Your father tells me you…….(work) in the bank now.
Ans:- Your father tells  me you are working in the bank now.
17.The news…….(release) as soon as the meeting is over.
Ans:- The news will be released as soon as the meeting over.
 18.He………..(sit) in the library when I saw him.
Ans:- He was sitting in the library when I saw him.
19. The boy was so dirty that he looked as if he……….(lie) in the mud.
Ans:- The boy was so dirty that he looked as if he laid in the mud.
20. The First World War…………..(last) for four years and ended in 1918.
Ans:- The First World War had been lasted for four years and ended in 1918.
21.  Your letter………….(reach) me yesterday.
Ans:- Your letter reached me yesterday.
23. The train………..(arrive) when I reached the station.
Ans:- The train had arrived when I reached the station.
24. I will speak to him when he……….(come).
Ans:- I will speak to him when he comes.
25. While I………..(run) after the bus I dropped my wallet.
Ans:- While I was running after the bus I dropped my wallet.
26. The rubbish van……………(come) again in the afternoon tomorrow.
Ans:- The rubbish van will come again in the afternoon tomorrow.
27. At eight o’clock tomorrow evening the president……………..(speak) to the nation.
Ans:- At eight o’clock tomorrow evening the president will speak to the nation.
28. We ………..(stay) in Kolkata during the coming Puja Holidays.
Ans:- We are staying in Kolkata during the Puja holidays.
29. I ……………(wait) for you since morning.
Ans:- I have been waiting for you since morning.
30. By three o’clock the committee………(interview) thirty candidates.
Ans:- By three o’clock the committee interviewed thirty candidates.
Preposition
The preposition answer is given below
1.The train arrived…………………..the platform a minute ago.
2. We informed the police……….the theft in the house.
3. The industrialist who had bought this mansion left the property……………….change of a watchmen.
4. The children were looking forward…………..their visit to Kaziranga.
 5. We refer to this dictionary………….the pronunciation of the words.
6. The Government called for a report………………..the car accident.
7. The president of the Managing committee presided……………..the meeting.
8. I have t finish this report……………tonight.
9. Where are you going………….your vacation.
10. Please sit……..a few minutes.
11. He will arrive…………..a few minutes.
12. I spoke to Mr. Das……………the office.
13. I have heard a lot of about you…………….your class teacher.
14. His father is a principal…………………..a school in Jorhat.
15. We arrived in Mumbai……………..the 10th of this month.
16. Our school is……………..zoo road.
17. The playground is located………………….the back of the school.
18. The fan is……………….my head.
19. The girl standing………………the two boys is their sister.
20. Pease call me………9.00 and 10.00 a.m.
21. My brother is………..26th July.
22. I have been waiting here……..morning.
23. It is notified here that the school reopens ………..the Puja holiday on 25th October.
24. You must to look at your right and left before going ……………the road.
25. Dogglas jumped ……………….the swimming pool.
26. The baby fall…the bed.
27. You can reach the railway station……………Chandmari either by bus or auto.
28. We have been staying……………..a hotel near the railway station.
29. The office is closed……………..second and fourth Saturdays.
30. Did you enjoy yourself………………….the party last night.
ANSWER OF THE ABOVE PREPOSITION
1.at    2.about  3.in  4.to   5.for   6.on   7.over   8.by   9.in   10.for   11.within   12.at   13.from    14.of   15.on  16.in   17.at   18.over   19.by   20.between   21.on   22.since   23.after   24.across     25.into   26.down   27.at    28.in    29.on   30.in
5.Water is precious and we should stop wastage. Prepare a poster in not more than 50 words urging people to employ various methods of rain water harvesting in their own localities.

SAVE EACH DROP OF WATER
REMEMBER:
WITHOUT WATER THERE WOULD BE NO LIFE AT ALL
BEWARE:
·         MOST OF THE WELLS HAVE GONE DRY
·         WATER-TABLE GOING DOWN EVERYDAY
·         SCARCITY OF WATER FELT IN EVERY TOWN AND CITY
·         ACUTE WASTE SHORTAGE AHEAD
·         DON’T WASTE WATER SAVE EVERY DROP!
TAKE CARE
·         NEVER LEAVE TAPS OPEN
·         USE AS MUSH AS YOU NEED
·         STORE RAIN WATER SCIENTIFICALLY
·         USE USED-WATER IN PLANTS AND EMPLOY RAIN WATER HARVESTING IN YOUR   AREA
·         WASTEFUL AND UNWISE USE OF WATER MUST BE STOPPED AT 



6.6. You are Kanak, the Sport Secretary of XYZ school/college, Dibrugarh. Drafta notice, in not more than 50 words, for the notice board informing the students about the Inter school/college athletics tournament that your institution is going to organize.
Answer:-                                                                                                                             
                                                                                                                                                    GAMES & SPORTS
XYZ SCHOOL, DIBRUGARH
NOTICE
15th feb,2015
 INTER-SCHOOL ATHLETICS TOURNMENT
Our school is going to organize an inter-school athletics tournament on the 12th and 13th March. Students desirous of participating of the tournament must their names latest by 5th March. All the students are invited to come, watch the tournament, cheer and encourage their teams.
                                                                                                                                 KANAK
                                                                                                                    SPORTS SECRETARY




7. You are Priyam and you’ve visited your friend, who is staying in the school/college hostel. Write a factual description in 100-125 words including the facilities such as accommodation, food, entertainment, sports etc. provided there.
Answer:-
    Last Sunday, I visited my friend who stays in Diburgarh in a private hostel near Chowkidingi. I was very happy to reach his place. His room is in the first floor from where the view of the Tea garden is very clear. The building looked like an old one but when I entered it, I found that the room was very spacious. It has a proper bathroom. It has an open space outside the house where the boys of the hostel could spend time by playing outdoor games. The hostel provided meal three times a day. I found the food quite good. In the evening the boy watching television and in the evening I along with them sat on the terrace to view the beautiful night scene of the town. The town looks very calm from hostel. Eventually the boys moved to their own rooms to study. The hostel according to me is a very congenial place and the environment in and around it.

Question8-You are Arun Das/Arunima das,aresident of 16,Gopinath bordoloi Nagar,Tinisukia. You have lost a black handbag containing valuable documents while traveling from Digboi to Tinisukia by bus. Draft an advertisement in not more than 50 words, for publication in an English daily giving details of the bag, when you had lost it and giving your contact address requesting the finder to return it to you.

LOST! LOST! LOST!
Lost my black leather handbag while I traveling in ASTC Bus from Digboi to Tinisukia on yesterday 15th February. I informed to all of the person that here is available some most important 5 document of mine. Which document is most important for my life. So which is the person take on the bag that please  it imedietely send my address or call my number9957526218. I shall give the person with a special gift. So please contect with me imeditely when you find the leather bag.
My address:-   VILL GARUKHUNDA       P.O GARUKHUNDA
                         P.S   KAMPUR                 PIN   782428
                         DIST  NAGAON              STATE    ASSAM
                         PHONE NO:- 9859205936  EMAIL:- podmeswar96@gmail.com




9.You are the proprietor of the Fantasia, an amusement park, Tezpur. Write an advertise in an English newspaper offering attractive discount to Honeymoon/Holiday packages.(word Limit:50 words)

FANTASIA AMUSEMENT PARK
TEZPUR

OFFERS FANTASTIC
OFF-SEASON INCENTIVES
HONEYMOON/HOLIDAT PACKAGES
2 DAYS / 3 NIGHTS
Bonanza Package Rs. 4000/- per person
(Including accommodation, all meals, transports and site seeing and two children below 10 adjusted in the same room
Without any extra charges)
With : Jeep Safari, Fishing, Riding and Trekking in Sylvan
Surroundings Modern Bar
AND
Audio& Video for Children and indoor Games
Also Conference and Club facility, Library

Contect:-  Fantasia Amusement Park, Tezpur
Tel- 9957536218


9.You are Pramila/Priyam the sports secretary of Kokrajhar Senior secondary school, Kokrajhar . Wrte a notice suitable for your school notice board  giving the details for participation of students in a football tournament to be organized by your school.(word Limit: 50 words)

ANSWER:- 


Kokrajhar Senior Secondary School
Notice
14th february,2015
                                                                              COME ONE COME ALL

A good news for the students. The school is organizing an interclass football tournament on 14th March 2015. The tournament is only open to the senior student, from classes ix-xii. Even class will have one team. Class captains must send the names to the undersigned by 2nd March 2015
                                                                                                              Priyom
                                                                                                     (Sports Secretary)

10. You attended the Edufair,2014 organized by Assam Tribune Pvt. Ltd. In Guwahati in which some top colleges and universities of India participated and gave information about their undergraduate and graduate programmes. Write a detailed account of the fair in 100-125 words. You are Parveen/ Pravin.
Answer:- 
EDUFAIR-2014
By Pravin
The Edufair 2014 was organized by Assam tribune Pvt. Ltd. In Guwahati on 8th October 2014. Many top College and universities of India participated in the fair. It was an interactive session where students of different institutions gave information about their undergraduate and graduate programmes. The different books and curriculum were a matter of discussion in the fair. The students were given enough time to interact with the experts and to get the replies to their querries. They were also given sufficient time to go through the books and purchase them. The main motto of the fair was to enlarge their knowledge of any subject incorporated/included in their curriculum. The famous writers of the various books were also present in the fair whom the students could meet.The fair started with a cultural Programme and ended with a Seminar after seven days. The organizers of the Fair were happy to see the response and took the decision to organize it after every four months. The fair was inaugurated by the President of Sahitya Sabha. It was truly an enlightening fair.




11.Wrte a letter to Editor of Assam tribune, Guwahati-781003 to draw the attention of the authorities concerned to the erratic power supply, particularly during study hours, in your locality. You are Ritu/Augustine.
Answer:-
                                                                                                                                                               Sector-3
                                                                                                                                                    Noonmati, Guwahati
                                                                                                                                                       16 February, 2015
To
     The Editor
         Of Asaam Tribune
               Guwahati-781003
Sub: Erratic power supply in Sector-3, Noonmati

Sir,
          I would like to draw the attention of gov. officials and concerned authorities and highlight the frequent breakdown of power supply in Sector-3, Noonmati through the columns of your esteemed daily.
          Due to the erratic power supply and frequent breakdown of power supply, the residents of this area have to undergo untold sufferings. In summer, the mercury shoots upto  400 C. The helpless residents spend sleepless nights due to motion of the electric fan is in rest all the time. There have also been many thefts in the region. The low voltage has been a regular problem. The worst suffers are the students. The student cannot read sufficient for the electric problem.
       A delegation of the resident met the power Minister in this regard. He amused them of regular supply of electricity in the area. Hope this letter will awaken the concerned authorities from their slumber and make provision for the ‘uniterrupted’ power supply to the resident of Sector-3, noonmati.
                                                                                                                                                Your faithfully
                                                                                                                                                    Augustine

12.Write a report on a train accident giving imaginary details of the accident and the steps taken by the concerned authorities towards medical relief to the accident victims.
Answer:-                                             A most dangerous/horrible Train accident
                                                                                        A Report
Jagiroad,14th February:- A horrible train accident took place/cropped up  here today evening at 5 p.m. .A speeding train Rajdhani Express rear-ended another local train at the Jagiroad station. A devastating fire broke out immediate for the coalition the two trains. This reporter happened to pass the way near by the accident and at once rang up the fire brigade, police station and 108 Medical service. The fire brigade did arrive very soon but it took some time to locate the water hydrant that was quite far away. In the mean time, policeman and Medical ambulance reached the spot. A large number of people gathered there, and each tired in his own way to put the fire and rescue the victims. They threw bucket of water on the rising flames and fire was brought under control. The injured passengers was brought to the Civil Hospital by Medical ambulance and by other private cars. It is fortune that no one died. Only eighteen passengers injured among two are critical.

THANKS BY PODMESWAR BORA. WISH, ALL OF YOU SUCCESS A BETTER WRITTING IN FINAL EXAM. DON’T DISLIKE, PLEASE READ CAREFULLY. I HOPE ALL OF YOU SUCCESS WITH A GOOD RESULT.